Monday, August 7, 2017

Week 1/Semana 1

English up top. Spanish down below.


Day 1:
I navigated the airports without an issue. I was terrified when it all started, but I survived. Sleeping on a plane is the most horrible thing. A kid kicked the back of my seat all night while he screamed.
 
Goodbye Joplin
Just a plane ride. I'll be ok.
Boss Baby, Diet Coke, and Cookies. Not bad. I sat next to a Spanish speaking couple on this flight. I initiated conversion with them believe it or not. 
Cool view from up here
When I arrived in Uruguay my host mom, Laura was there to great me.
My first steps in Uruguay.

We went back to the house where I met my host dad, Eduardo. He took me and Annie on a walk to his sister's house.  As we were leaving a man walking out of the building had mate, which is the tea down here. Eduardo took it and handed it to Annie then me to try. It's very strong and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was ok.  Jenny arrived later and we both went to bed early. I didn't even eat dinner. I did call home and talk to people though.
First Skype from Uruguay!


Day 2:
Laura took Jenny and I to try and figure out cellphone service. Actually we went twice and mine still isn't working. We ate lunch together between trips. I have no idea what we ate, but they were good. I then went to my room and took a nap. A 4 hour nap. I didn't feel well. I got dehydrated. I once again missed dinner. I talked to Mom and Dalton before going to bed for the night.


Day 3:


I'm in there, I promise.
Tuesday was orientation day at school. I was still not feeling well and got sick before leaving the house. Jenny and I walked together, which made me feel better. I still felt lost the entire time though. I felt the same during orientation actually.

There was so much information. 
I had to stay to enroll in classes so that meant that I had to walk home alone. It made me really nervous. I got very flustered trying to enroll and was attempting to bail out. Some girls from Spain that were in there stopped me and offered to help me. I think I'll just take exchange classes. My Spanish isn't ready for regular classes. 
Super cool Lego wall at school
I did make it home alone after a few turn arounds. 
I'm not sure I've ever been so happy to see a house. 

Homesickness is really bad right now.


Day 4:
I had nothing planned for today. I got up early to  work out my cellphone, but it was working. While I was eating breakfast the doorbell rang. There was a lady out front putting the dog back into the gate. I couldn't understand her for the life of me. I think the gate was left open and she got out. When I went back in, Eduardo heard the door and came down. We sat and talked for awhile, which was nice. Then I went back to the casita and took a little nap. I gave Laura her gift. When Jenny got home we went up the street to the little store and I bought snacks to share on my trip this weekend. After that I was going to go to the bank and possibly the beach. Laura asked if I wanted to walk the dog to the beach and she'd go with me to the bank later. So I took the dog and after a wrong turn headed south we made it to the beach. I saw grass and went and sat in it. It was very pretty and sunny too. There were palm trees all over. The puppy and I chased pigeons for quite some time before walking home.
We made it!
Sitting in the grass under a palm tree

My Uruguayan puppy, Tulita

When I got back we had lunch and Eduardo taught us the history of "usted". People used to say "vuestra merced" but paper was expensive so they shortened it. They took "vuest" and "ed" and formed "usted". Then Laura took us to the bank. The machine was out of cash so I'll have to try again. Thank goodness I got money before I left. I'd have been in trouble.


Day 5:
Today was the Montevideo City Challenge at school. Jenny and I went. All of the exchange students went to the park and played games. 
My team for the Montevideo City Challenge
It was ok. I need to keep busy or I get really homesick. When we got home we ate lunch. The food here is pretty good. Half the time I don't know what I'm eating, but I eat. Today was chicken and leftovers from last night. I think it was spinach and egg in a crust. Then I took a nap. I feel like I sleep all the time here. I'm stressed, homesick, and trying to process language all day which wears me out especially if I must go socialize on top of that.


Day 6:
I was a bum today. I slept in and then hung out on my computer most of the day. I did go out and play fetch with the puppy before lunch. I love my Uruguayan puppy. Mostly because she doesn't talk. Jenny and I then had to go to school for our Spanish test. Tomorrow I'm off to Piriápolis.


Day 7:
I went on a trip with some other exchange students through the school. We went to Piriápolis.
Castillo de Piria

Our first stop was the Castillo de Piria. It was built in 1897 as a home for don Fransisco Piria, the founder of Piriápolis.
Cool tree at the castle
Castle Selfie
Inside there was furniture, tools, and other things from that time period. It was very cool to go to a real castle. 

This was the view in front of the castle.

After we left there we went to Cerro Pan de Azúcar. It is the third highest point in Uruguay. If you look closely you can see the cross on the top of the hill. Piria bought the land and used it as a quarry because there was lots of granite. Later  Juan Zorrilla de San Martín built the cross on the summit, which is 423 meters high. 
That hill is Cerro Pan de Azúcar. 
This was taken from an overlook part way up the hill. We didn't walk all the way to the cross. 
At Cerro Pan de Azúcar there's also a zoo with native animals. It wasn't like an American zoo where the animals are far away and behind bars. They were fairly close and the only thing between you and them was chainlink fence. Which was cool except when it came to the jaguar. 
Capybara
Coati
Jaguar

After the zoo we had lunch and had some free time. A group of us girls went to the Rambla and walked. We stopped at an ice cream shop. I didn't want ice cream so I got an alfajor, which is caramel  sandwiched between 2 cookies. Sometimes they're covered with chocolate or white chocolate. This particular one wasn't, but was still delicious.
The weather was super nice
That hill is Cerro Pan de Azúcar.
See the cross?
That evening went to Cerro San Antonio to watch the sunset. It was originally called Cerro de Inglés, but was renamed to attract engaged couples.  It's 130 meters high and overlooks the bay. Theres a little house up there with a statue of San Antonio in it.

In Uruguay they clap when the sun sets. 
That night we went back to the hostel and had pizza. Uruguay pizza is amazing! I like it more than any American pizza. There's a ton a mozzarella on it. 


Day 8:
Sunday we got up (not early as that's not a thing here in Uruguay) and went to Cerro de Toro. At the bottom you can see the bull fountain and then you must hike up (and I mean up) to get to the beautiful view at the top. It's 240 meters high. It's the second highest point in Uruguay. 
Me and the toro (bull)
The bull came from Paris.

Jaguar
Finally made it to the top.
The Spanish army used to use this as a lookout and it's obvious why.


After a muddy climb back down the hill we went to the harbor and eventually lunch. We ate chivitos, which is a Uruguayan sandwich. There's lettuce, tomato, beef, ham, bacon, mozzarella, and a fried egg on it. I LOVED my chivito.
Chivito
Then we were off to Punta Colorada. It was a rocky place to hang out by the ocean for a bit.


Then we went to El Águila. It's a house shaped like an eagle head. It built for a millionaire from Argentina. It began as a small house for a Virgin Mary, but continued to grow as the architect went and the millionaire wanted more. The architect didn't have any plans and built it on a whim. 

El Águila

It overlooks the ocean



Día 1:
Lo odio los aviones. No dormí bien en mi vuelto a Montevideo.
 
Adios Joplin
Está bien. Apenas una vuelta
Boss Baby, Diet Coke, and Galletas. No malo.  Me sentí al lado de un partido hispanohablante. ¡Hablemos!
La vista is muy diferente.
Cuando llegue a Uruguay. Laura, mi mamá Uruguaya estaba allí para mí.
Mis pasos primeros en Uruguay
Cuando regresamos a la casa, conocí Eduardo, mi papá Uruguayo. Él, Annie, y yo caminamos a la casa de su hermana.  Cuando salíamos un hombre con mate salía. Eduardo tomó y dio a Annie y entonces mí para probar. Mate es muy fuerte y no sé como siento de mate. Estaba así así. Jenny llegó más tarde y ambos de nosotros nos acostamos temprano. No cené.  Llamé mi familia y Dalton.
¡Primero Skype de Uruguay!


Día 2:
Laura, Jenny y yo fuimos para obtener servicio celular. Realmente fuimos dos veces pero mío aún no sirve. Almorzamos juntas entre de viajes. No tengo idea que comimos, pero estaban deliciosos. Entonces fui a la casita para una siesta. Una siesta de 4 hora. No me sentí bien. Necesito más agua. Una otra vez no cené. Hablé con Mamá y Dalton antes de dormí.


Día 3:


Estoy afrento de aquí, yo prometo.
Martés fue la orientación para escuela. Aún no me sentí bien y vomité antes de escuela. Jenny y yo caminamos juntas, que me hizo sentir mejor. Aún me sentí perdida todo el tiempo. Me sentí el mismo durante la orientación también.

Hubo mucho información
Tuve que quedarme para inscribir en classes, así que significó que tuve caminar a la casa sola. Me hizo nerviosa. Me puse muy aturrullada cuando trataba de inscribir y quería salir muy rápido. Unas chicas de España que estaban conmigo me pararon y me ofrecieron ayudar. Creo que voy a tomar clases de intercambio. Mi español no está listo para clases regulares.
Pared de Lego
Llegue a la casa después de cuantas vueltas en la dirección incorrecta. 
Estaba muy feliz para ver la casa más que alguna vez antes. 
Me siento muy nostálgica.


Día 4:
No tengo planes para hoy. Me levanté temprano para resolver mi celular, pero servía. Mientras desayunaba, oye la timbre. Hubo una mujer con nuestra perra. No entendí nada que ella dijo. Creo que el portón estaba arribo y la perra escapó. Cuando regresé a la casa Eduardo me oyó y hablamos por un tiempo. Entonces fui a la casita para dormir un poquito. La di un regalo a Laura cuando estábamos solas. Cuando Jenny regresó fuimos a la tienda porque tengo traer un tentempié para compartir en mi viaje este fin de semana. Después salía para el banco y quizás la playa. Laura me preguntó si quería caminar con la perrita a la playa y después al banco con ella (Laura no la perra). Aún la perrita y fuimos a la rambla. Después de una vuelta mala hacia el norte llegamos a la rambla. Vi pasto y me senté. Estaba muy bonita y soleada también. Hubo muchas palmeras. La perrita y yo corrimos de las palomas para mucho tiempo antes de regresando.
¡La rambla!
Sentada abajo de una palmera
Mi perrita Uruguaya
Cuando llegue a la casa, almorzamos y Eduardo no enseñó la historia de "usted". Gente decía "vuestra merced" pero el papel fue caro así que lo cortó. Se tomaba "vuest" y "ed" y formaba "usted".  Quiero recordarlo porque estaba interesante. Entonces Laura, Jenny, Christina y yo fuimos al banco. la maquina no tuvo dinero así que tendré tratar una otra vez. Es muy bien que obtuve dinero antes de salí.


Día 5:

Hoy fue el Montevideo City Challenge a la universidad. Jenny y yo fuimos. Todos de los extranjeros fueron a la parque y jugamos. Estaba así así.
Mi equipo para el Montevideo City Challenge
Necesito hacer cosas o me siento nostálgica. Cuando regresamos a la casa, almorzamos. La comida aquí es bueno más o menos. Pero hay muchas veces cuando no sé que estoy comiendo. Hoy fue pollo y la cena de anoche. Creo que fue huevos y espinaca en una corteza. Entonces una siesta. Me siento como duermo todo el tiempo aquí. Estoy estresada, nostálgica, y tratando procesar la lengua todo el día que me hace cansada especialmente si es necesario para alternar.


Día 6:
Hoy estaba perezosa. Dormí tarde y entonces pasé tiempo en mi computadora para la mayoría del día. Salí y jugué con la perrita. La quiero mi perrita Uruguaya. Más que nada porque ella no habla. Jenny y yo entonces tuvimos ir a la universidad para nuestra examen de español. Mañana irá a Piriápolis.

Día 7:
Fui en un viaje con otros extranjeros a Piriápolis.
Castillo de Piria

Primero fue el Castillo de Piria. Construyó en 1897 como una casa para don Francisco Piria, el fundador de Piriápolis
Un árbol afuera del castillo
Castillo Selfie

Dentro de el castillo había los muebles, las herramientas y otras cosas de esa época. Fue muy interesante para ir a un castillo real.
La vista en frente del castillo
Después salimos, fuimos a Cerro Pan de Azúcar. Es el tercer punto más alto en Uruguay. Si miras muy cerca puedes ver la cruz a la cima. Piria compró la tierra y usaba como una cantera porque había mucha granito allá. Más tarde  Juan Zorrilla de San Martín construyó la cruz a la cima, que es 423m en altura. 
 Cerro Pan de Azúcar. 
Una vista en el cerro. No fuimos a la cima.
A Cerro Pan de Azúcar había una reserva de animales con animales nativos. No fue como un zoo en los E.E.U.U. donde los animales estaba muy lejos y detrás de bares. Estaban cerca y detrás de una valle. Fue chévere excepto con el jaguar. 
Capibara
Coatí
Jaguar

Después de la reserva de animales, almorzamos y tenía tiempo libre. Un grupo de nuestras chicas fuimos a la rambla y caminamos. Paramos a un heladería. No quise helado así que tuve un alfajor, es dulce de leche entre dos galleta. Algunos tienen chocolate or chocolate blanco. Este no fue pero todavía delicioso.
El tiempo estaba bien finalmente
Cerro Pan de Azúcar.
¿Ves la cruz?

En la tarde fuimos a Cerro San Antonio para mirar el atardecer. Originalmente se llamó Cerro de Inglés pero dio un nuevo nombre para atraer las parejas comprometidas. Está 130m en altura y da a la bahía. También hay una casita con San Antonio allá.

En Uruguay aplaudimos cuando el sol desaparece.
Esa noche regresamos al hostel y cenamos. ¡Me encanta la pizza Uruguaya! Hay mucho queso. 


Día 8:
En domingo nos levantamos (no temprano no en Uruguay) y fuimos a Cerro de Toro. Al fondo puedes ver el fuente de toro y entonces caminas arriba para ver la vista bonita a la cima. Es 240m en altura. Es el segundo punto más alto en Uruguay. 
Mi y el toro
El toro es de París.

Jaguar
Finalmente la cima

La armada española usaba este cerro para mirar para enemigos.  Es obvio por qué.


Después de un ascenso sucio fuimos al puerto y finalmente almuerzo. Comimos chivatos. Son sandwiches uruguayos. Hay lechuga, tomate, carne de vaca, jamón, tocino, queso y un huevo entre el pan. ¡Me encantaba el chivito!
Chivito
Entonces fuimos a la Punta Colorada. Había muchas rocas y estaba cera del mar.


El lugar final fue el Águila. Es una casa en la forma de la cabeza de una águila. Se construyó para un millonario en Argentina. Empezó como una casita para la Virgen María, pero continuó creciendo. El arquitecto no tuvo planes pero lo construyó por capricho.

El Águila

La vista es el mar







No comments:

Post a Comment